No, don’t say erk and run away…I know it sounds like boarding school and bad food, but it is delicious.
I have bad memories of tapioca as a child and after eating this I don’t know why. This pudding is the last word in comfort food.
One day a few weeks back when I was shopping in Fairfield I came across a tapioca, coconut milk fruit dessert tub made by Arlington’s. It was marked vegan and I’m always ready to give a vegan product a go. My expectations were not high, given my previous childhood horror of tapioca, but I was blown away. However at the rate I was scoffing them I was going to be poor very soon.
So I decided to make my own. It is a very easy dessert or breakfast food to make. Cook the tapioca in some sweetened coconut milk and water, add some pureed fruit. Cool and set.
This time I made mine with some apples and quinces from the garden. I ate it for breakfast this morning garnished with some apples cooked with raspberries.
- ½ cup tapioca pearls
- 300 ml coconut cream
- 280 ml water
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup pureed fruit of your choice (I used a mix of apples and quinces cooked with cinnamon and cloves)
- Put the tapioca, coconut cream and water into a saucepan
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the pearls are clear and no longer have a bite
- Add the fruit (I made mine partly pureed with the occasional chunk for a contrast)
- Add sugar to taste. I needed about 5 teaspoons.