roasted vegetable frittata
Another week and another triumph for the ever wonderful chick pea flour.
This time I’ve made a chickpea flour and roasted vegetable frittata. It is wonderful. Sometimes vegan replacement foods can be a disappointment. But this is not. Chickpea flour batter is so fabulous as an egg replacement that I think many people, vegans and non vegans alike, could not tell the difference. The idea comes from the chickpea batter in a quiche recipe at The Gourmet Vegan.
It is a little bit more work than just mixing everything up and throwing it all into the oven, as the chick pea flour needs cooking first, and the veggies need to be roasted before mixing it all together. But, if you have roasted veggies already in the fridge, you can have this ready in less than 40 minutes. I used a combination of roasted cauliflower, pumpkin, red capsicum, and halved cherry tomatoes that I already had in the fridge. Apart from its delicious flavour, I think the cauliflower really helps with the texture and I would always include it. But any roasted vegetables would be good. I have some leeks in the garden that are just calling to be used. 🙂
I ate mine with a salad made with some lettuce from my garden with avocado, and a dill flavoured, mustardy vinaigrette. Warning it is delicious, I’ve eaten a third of it already!
- 2-3 cups of roasted vegetables - I used a combination of cauliflower, pumpkin, red capsicum, and halved cherry tomatoes.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Massel liquid stock concentrate or a stock cube
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon black salt ( this gives an eggy flavour)
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
- Mix the chick pea flour with 1 cup of the water into a smooth paste.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour the chick pea flour mix into the saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Lower the heat and stir continuously until the batter thickens.
- Continue to cook, stirring for another 3 minutes.
- Gently fold in the roasted vegetables. It will be quite thick.
- Scoop the mix into a oiled cake tin or flan dish.
- Smooth the top with a wet spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out of the tin.
- Serve cold or warm.