peaches 2 – a grilled peach and chilli jam salad
I think you’re going to see a peach theme for the next couple of weeks! I have lots of peaches on my tree and this is a seasonal food blog, so I’ll be thinking up creative ways to use them. Sorry to any Northern Hemisphere readers. You’ll need to wait until peaches are back in your part of the world. Can I say (modestly) that I think this salad is delicious. The sweetness of the peaches, hotness from the chilli, tartness from the lime and bitter cos flavours are a hit and make me swoon slightly. 🙂
It was inspired by a salad that I ate at a restaurant recently that contained peaches. Apart from the fact that this one contains peaches, it really bears no relationship to the other salad at all. That one had a few small pieces of fresh raw peach.
For my salad I grilled the peaches in a grill pan. Read on for the recipe. It is delicious.
- 2 fresh ripe peaches
- oil (not olive, I think it is a bit strongly flavoured for this. I used macadamia)
- 2 teaspoons tomato chilli jam
- fresh coriander
- baby cos lettuce, I've also made it with buttter lettuce
- lemon or lime juice
- Cut the peaches in half or quarters if they are large
- Brush the cut peaches with some oil and put cut side down in a hot grill pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the peaches get nice grill marks on the cut
surfaces and start to soften.
- Turn the peaches over skin side down, spread the chilli jam on the top and continue to cook until they start to collapse. Turn the heat off and allow to cool.
- Put the lettuce leaves into a bowl, lay the peaches over the leaves.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and squeeze lime over the top.